[cisco-voip] Standby publisher

Andrius Kislas andrius-conf at kislas.lt
Thu Jul 1 06:16:43 EDT 2010

Hi All.

Correct me if I am wrong, but when the publisher fails the biggest
impact we have is not being able to change configuration. In large
environments this might be serious impact.

My question is - does anybody use a standby/cold publisher that has the
only task - sit and wait until the primary publisher fails? This standby
published would ba standalone (not a member of existing cluster), would
have different IP address (in the same subnet) and the same name as
existing publisher, would have no licenses uploaded and would be kept in
the same version as primary publisher. During primary publisher failure
we would need to change IP address and perform disaster recovery. This
would save us some time that we would typiacly need to get new server,
install new publisher, upgrade it and finally perform recovery.

Does it sound fine or are there any caveats for such approach?

Regards,
Andrius