[cisco-voip] CUC restricted/unrestricted warning/rant

Ted Nugent tednugent73 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 12:03:11 EDT 2010

Just and FYI and warning...
We recently ordered a new Unity Connection 7.x HA config for a client. The
media i received stated CUCM CUCM-BE and CUC 7.1(5) (no restricted or
unrestricted listed) same old media we're used to seeing. I installed the
cluster yesterday and life was good. I went to patch the cluster to 7.15b
last night which went fine until i went to switch versions. The PUB rebooted
fine but the sub rebooted and said it was unable to switch
version because of a restricted/unrestricted mismatch, the same patch was
used on both versions. I went back to the old version and I'm now seeing
that the version listed in the platform admin page is show "unrestricted". I
did not notice that before because there was no mention on the install
media... This was ordered in the US and is a US deployment for a
non-government company. What erks me is that now I'm stuck running
unrestricted when the clients CM cluster is restricted unless we somehow
fight with Cisco to obtain new installation media and roll the dice that it
will actual comes as restricted this time and obviously have to rebuild the
cluster... Also there is no mention of unrestricted/restricted in any of the
downloads for CUC, you have to pull down the UCOS patch from the CM page for
that option. Cisco really needs to get their act together on this!

Another odd thing to note is that the inactive version still says
unrestricted until i switch version and then it say restricted since i
obviously patched with a restricted version and is not supported.

Installed Versions  Active Version 7.1.5.10000-12 Unrestricted  Inactive
Version 7.1.5.30000-1 Unrestricted