[cisco-voip] School Building VoIP 911

Norton, Mike mikenorton at pwsd76.ab.ca
Tue Jun 8 18:32:12 EDT 2010

Typically I bridge the main POTS line that the FXO uses to a "red jack" at the reception area. To avoid having people pick up the "red phone" while the FXO port is using the line, the phone normally stays stored in a drawer somewhere. During extended outages, office staff take out the phone and plug it in. My schools are all remote rural locations (frequent power outages), so the ones that have this set-up are well-rehearsed at the procedure. It helps that the 10 minutes of UPS is already a huge improvement over the legacy key systems that VoIP is replacing.

--
Mike Norton
I.T. Support