[cisco-voip] Old and new school QoS links

Jason Aarons (US) jason.aarons at us.didata.com
Wed Jun 9 16:04:10 EDT 2010

Thought I would pass this out for peer review/discussion as a  Enterprise customer was asking about QoS. They currently do QoS based upon ip subnet addresses, for which I suggested they move to DSCP and either MediaNet or RFC4594 like setup. What are your long term QoS ideas?

Older thoughts around LLQ (auto qos voip), single strict priority queue for voice
CallManager 8x SRND: Network Infrastructure
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/8x/netstruc.html

New ideas like MediaNet and RFC 4594 / RFC 5127 (YouTube, Video killed the Radio Star, Microsoft Office Communicator Video Calls, Skype, WebEx Video)
https://www.cisco.com/web/solutions/medianet/index.html
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Video/qosmrn.html
http://blogs.cisco.com/tag/medianet
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/WAN_and_MAN/QoS_SRND_40/QoSIntro_40.html