[cisco-voip] CUSP

STEVEN CASPER SCASPER at mtb.com
Thu Jun 17 13:58:39 EDT 2010

Thanks for the info. I was looking at the 3945-E ISRs for CUBE. Are there other reasons to look at the ASR besides greater capacity?

Steve

>>> Nick Matthews <matthnick at gmail.com> 6/17/2010 10:43 AM >>>
IMO - CUSP was a way for us to do a few things we could not do previously.

1st - It allowed us to have a 'SIP gatekeeper' of sorts, where you can
store large amounts (10k+) of routes in a centralized location.
2nd - It allowed a larger session count for SIP trunking with ISRs.
Since you can load balance to multiple CUBEs with CUSP, you can make a
'CUBE stack' to increase the session count.  It also lets you take
CUBEs out of service one by one for maintenance/replacement which is
nice.

It has some other benefits as well - the modification ability is
unmatched.  You can route calls on almost any part of the SIP message
you wish, with incredible flexibility.

The problems are different - lack of SNMP support (may be available in
a future release), no CAC abilities (at the moment), increased
complexity, etc.

I personally would rather put in some ASR CUBEs that each have a
capacity for 15k calls, with redundant supervisors, on redundant boxes
(coming soon), than complexify my SIP environment with CUSP.  If you
need centralized SIP routing or very flexible SIP modification and
routing, then it's a good box to look at.

-nick