[cisco-voip] Cisco CUCM 6.1.3 to 8.0.0 Upgrade

Tor-Ivar Kristoffersen tik at lufttransport.no
Thu Jun 17 17:52:00 EDT 2010

Hi

I have been struggeling with this upgrade for some some now. I hope someone can cast som light on the matter

We are running an MCS-7835 with 6.1.3.3190 on. This server does not support 8.0. We also have a new IBM Server that now has a clean install of 8.0.0 on it. The server supports 8.0, and is ordered to Cisco spec. But it will not support 6.1.3 nor 7. So I have a gap between 6.1.3 and 8.0 here.

This I hoped to resolv by installing a clean 6.1.3.3190 server in vmware, restoring the DRS backup from our production server, and then upgrade this to 8 and do a DRS backup again. Restore to the new server and voila :D. Sounds like a good plan ?

I tought so  too, but its not as easy as it seems.....

I did a DRS, that went fine.
Made my 6.1.3.3190 clean install in vmware, that went fine aswell.
Made a separate VLAN so that I could use the actual IP's without interfering with the production server.
And did a DRS restore. All this went fine.
Now then.

My ISO image of the upgrade file is called Bootable_UCSInstall_UCOS_8.0.0.99121-8.sgn.iso

I have tried using this on a DVD and via SFTP with the same result. NO GO :(

It errors out during the initial upgrade process. Failing on the Disks in vmware.

                 Critical Error

Validation error on HSSI mode:
VMWare Validation Failure:
Unable to validate VMWare based server disk settings.
Please check SCSI disks are at least 72GB in size and are located at 0:0 (and 0:1 in a two disk config) in machine settings.

This is the error message.

My disks have been 1x120gb, 2x120gb, 2x80gb ( I tried 3 times)
Same error every time.

My VMWARE HOST is setup with the following specs.

2 vcpu
6GB MEM
2x120GB disks
Flexible network adapter ( First E1000, but same error)
LSI Logic Disk conroller
Redhat Enterprise 4.2 and 5 . (tried both)

So now I am basically out of ideas for where to go next.

Does anyone have any good ideas for me ?
I have been thinking of this bridged upgrade, but my current hardware MCS 7835 with 6.1.3 will not recognize the ISO file as a valid upgrade option , and I think its not supported on my hardware.

So again.....anything folks.

Best Regards
Tor-Ivar Kristoffersen
IT Konsulent