[cisco-voip] ATA 186 functionality across a wireless point to point connection

Brantley Richbourg Brantley.Richbourg at MMICNC.COM
Tue Mar 2 11:34:33 EST 2010

With a P2P connection I would assume you are dealing with other traffic that is competing for access to this shared medium.  Not to mention interference from others wireless devices.  Even though voice seems "fine" over this connection, fax modems are going to be more sensitive to jitter and latency than the human ear.

We have ATA 186's connected to fax machines running g711 and they work fine, but they are wired not wireless.  I wouldn't even think of personally trying to support fax over wireless.  Maybe if your fax machines supported t.38 it might work better, but I'm not sure.

I would verify you have the correct QoS on the access points to make sure there is priority assigned to the RTP traffic and nothing else.  Even with priority queuing, if you have a collistion on thoses access points from the other voice and data traffic, 802.11 will still wait before retransmitting, which will queue up your other voice and data traffic.

If you can you could try another wireless radio medium if you have that available?  We use 802.11A in our office for data, because it less likely other rough Aps will use that wireless spectrum.

My 2 cents.

Brantley

-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-voip-bounces at puck.nether.net [mailto:cisco-voip-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Nick Matthews
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 11:19 AM
To: Go0se
Cc: cisco-voip at puck.nether.net
Subject: Re: [cisco-voip] ATA 186 functionality across a wireless point to point connection

You can try enabling passthrough redundancy on the ATA.

This guide has the steps, and bit 7 should be 1 for "Fax method":

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/gatecont/ps514/products_configuration_example09186a00800d698e.shtml#task1

You would want the PSTN gateway to also have modem passthrough with
redundancy enabled.

-nick