[cisco-voip] cisco licensing changes...

Ed Leatherman ealeatherman at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 19:50:35 EST 2010

Thanks for the extra info Matt. A lot of my concerns right now are stemming
from what will I need to do to manage this correctly.. Right now we
provision end-users primarily just so they show up in the corporate
directory - the only ones that actually log in with those accounts are
contact center agents. Do I now need to audit every single phone and make
sure its tied to an end-user? multiple users? One of the reasons CUWL hasn't
been particularly attractive is that many of our endpoints are not tied to a
user (no need for VM etc) - "open space" phones under the new licensing. Now
I need to specifically identify all of these for licensing? DLU's made a lot
more sense to me - a phone is a phone is a phone.

UCCX and Unity seems like should be fairly cut and dry... except the prices
are going to go up. i dont need extra server nodes of anything, so no
benefit to me that I can tell... higher cost for new phones/seats/mailboxes,
possibly some busy work to switch over to the new licensing. Just my point
of view as a customer versus a partner.

I thought Cisco was pretty forgiving when migrating out of 4.x to the DLU
structure, I hope they are similarly patient with this one.

I agree if you are buying a new system (or selling many new systems if you
are a cisco partner), the new licensing probably makes a lot of sense and
actually the way UCSS is sold works out much better with this system.