[cisco-voip] "Internal" Caller ID

Peter Slow peter.slow at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 20:35:34 EDT 2010

the internal caller id definitely does wind up getting sent to the PSTN and
this is working as it's supposed to - the difference beween that and the
alerting field are that one is device specific, while one is DN specific.
i beleive the way it works is that when party a, line1 calls line 2 on
phones b and c, party a sees the "alerting name" on line (DN) 2. that is
DN-specific and will be the same when viewed on the DN config page fas it
relates to phones 2 or 3. however, the "internal caller ID" is configurable
for that same DN differently on the two different phones, and the
appropriate one will display on the calling party's phone once phoen b or C
answer.

For instance, whiel ringing, party a might observe "to Line2" on their
display. "Line 2" is configured as the alerting name on DN2. However, once
answered, party A might observe "to L2, Phone B" or "to L2 PhoneC" as
configured in the individual "Internal Caller ID" fields on a DN-per-Phone
basis, depending on which phone answers.

-Pete