[cisco-voip] 7940 Power Save Mode

Lawrence E. Bakst ml at iridescent.org
Tue Mar 23 18:32:16 EDT 2010

1. Sorry I am confused about your 15 x 100W comment. I don't see how turning off 15 phones is like "turning off 15x100w bulbs for 12 hours at a time". Which phones are you talking about? You aren't saying the phones take 100W per port are you? That is more than the 802.3ad POE max of 15.4/12.95 W per port. You must mean per switch?

2. In an idea world Cisco phones would have a hardware architecture were most of the phone can go to sleep and just the Ethernet chip and it's associated circuitry (POE, on-hook-switch, Display button, ...) can be powered and in POE power class 1. The phones watches for a Wake-on-LAN Ethernet packet, off hook, or Display Button depress event which then powers up the rest of the phone and it moves up to POE class 2,3 or 4 if it needs to. I don't see any reason why this couldn't work for incoming calls as well. This technology (Ethernet chips with Wake-on-LAN) has been around for a long time. I wish all Cisco phones worked this way.

3. I would also like to point out that while powering off phones does indeed save power, there are people that work outside normal hours and if their were to be a medical emergency and all the phones are turned off at the switchport that could be a bad thing for everyone involved.

leb