[cisco-voip] Meet-Me conferencing

Micah Bennett mbennett at als-xtn.com
Mon Mar 29 17:44:45 EDT 2010

Hello All

I am looking to build a few small meet-me conference groups for internal
use.  I am playing around with the Meet-Me conferencing just on the Call
Manager server.  I created a Meet-Me ID.  I initiated the conference
call by hitting the Meet-Me button and putting in the ID number.  After
initiated, I used another phone to simply dial the same code and I was
connected to the conference call.  I saw that the Cisco IP Voice Media
Stream App is active on all of my servers and a book that I have says
for it not be active on the publisher.  Under the parameters for this
service, I see where Conf Bridge call count is set at 48.  I also found
the note below in the Help section.

Cisco Unified CallManager Conference Bridge Software

Software conference devices support G.711 codecs by default.

The maximum number of audio streams for this type equals 128. With 128
streams, a software conference media resource can handle 128 users in a
single conference, or the software conference media resource can handle
up to 42 conferencing resources with three users per conference.

If the Cisco IP Voice Media Streaming Application service runs on a
different server than the Cisco CallManager service, a software
conference cannot exceed the maximum limit of 128 participants.

Caution :

If the Cisco IP Voice Media Streaming Application service runs on the
same server as the Cisco CallManager service, a software conference
should not exceed the maximum limit of 48 participants.

I also see under the call manager service where the Max Ad-Hoc
conference is set at 4 and the Max Meet-Me conference unicast is set at
4.  For the Ad-Hoc I understand that the 4 means a max of 4 people can
be on and Ad-Hoc call together using the Conf soft key on the phone.
What does the max meet-me 4 mean.  I am confused by the 128, the 48 and
the 4 mentioned in all the notes.

Questions:

Can a meet-me conference be initiate from and IPCC script? Or only by a
cisco phone in the office?

Can you specify how many ports you want each meet-me conference number
to support?

How can I tell the load that these meet-me conferences will place on my
call manager server?

Thanks

Micah Bennett
Telecommunications Admin