[cisco-voip] Meet-Me conferencing

Wes Sisk wsisk at cisco.com
Mon Mar 29 18:03:02 EDT 2010

Inline

On Monday, March 29, 2010 5:44:45 PM, Micah Bennett
<mbennett at als-xtn.com> wrote:

> Hello All
>

> I am looking to build a few small meet-me conference groups for
> internal use.  I am playing around with the Meet-Me conferencing just
> on the Call Manager server.  I created a Meet-Me ID.  I initiated the
> conference call by hitting the Meet-Me button and putting in the ID
> number.  After initiated, I used another phone to simply dial the same
> code and I was connected to the conference call.  I saw that the Cisco
> IP Voice Media Stream App is active on all of my servers and a book
> that I have says for it not be active on the publisher.  Under the
> parameters for this service, I see where Conf Bridge call count is set
> at 48.  I also found the note below in the Help section.
>

> Cisco Unified CallManager Conference Bridge Software
>

> Software conference devices support G.711 codecs by default.
>
> The maximum number of audio streams for this type equals 128. With 128
> streams, a software conference media resource can handle 128 users in
> a single conference, or the software conference media resource can
> handle up to 42 conferencing resources with three users per conference.
>
> If the Cisco IP Voice Media Streaming Application service runs on a
> different server than the Cisco CallManager service, a software
> conference cannot exceed the maximum limit of 128 participants.
>
> *Caution : *
>

> If the Cisco IP Voice Media Streaming Application service runs on the
> same server as the Cisco CallManager service, a software conference
> should not exceed the maximum limit of 48 participants.
>

> I also see under the call manager service where the Max Ad-Hoc
> conference is set at 4 and the Max Meet-Me conference unicast is set
> at 4.  For the Ad-Hoc I understand that the 4 means a max of 4 people
> can be on and Ad-Hoc call together using the Conf soft key on the
> phone.  What does the max meet-me 4 mean.  I am confused by the 128,
> the 48 and the 4 mentioned in all the notes.
>

> Questions:
>

> Can a meet-me conference be initiate from and IPCC script? Or only by
> a cisco phone in the office?

ws: only by an actual phone. SIP phones may be limited in earlier versions.

> Can you specify how many ports you want each meet-me conference number
> to support?

ws: nope.  each conference allows up to the maximum participants.
Maximum should be set to the smallest number supported by conference
devices.  4 comes from the old ws-x4604 which only supported 4 parties
in a conference.  There is no intelligence in the feature to
pre-allocate a device that supports "at least N streams".  Hopefully
this helps explain the parameters you found.

> How can I tell the load that these meet-me conferences will place on
> my call manager server?

ws: The CM capacity tool has accounting for this.
http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/CT/PGWCT/ct.cgi