[cisco-voip] Pushing a message to Cisco 7912 phones

Ben Yeldon portunus at portunus.net.nz
Wed May 5 16:37:25 EDT 2010

Hi List - long time listener, first time caller :)

I look after a CUCM installation at AUT University in Auckland, New Zealand.
 3x CUCM 6.1(3), about 2200 IP phones (80% of them Cisco 7912 with the
balance as 7940/60/70s).  Also 12x VG248s and 4x VG224s and 5x 2821s with
E1s to our telcos.  Have been lurking on this list for a long time and much
of the info I have read has been useful in my work so thanks to everyone who
posts here!

However time for a question:

At our University we want staff to have an easy way of identifying if their
phone is powered by UPS.  While we have quite a few PoE switches, not all of
them have UPS supply yet.  The idea we had was when we add a UPS to a PoE
switch we would add a flag to our inhouse networking monitoring system,
which would automatically build a database of phones powered by PoE switches
backed up by UPS by telnetting to the switches periodically and getting a
list of phones via CDP.

The next step would be to push a message to the display of these phone so
users could tell at a glance if they could expect their phone to work in a
power failure.  One way I thought would be to browse to an XML page hosted
on our server which could inform the user of the backup power status of
their phone.  However I was wondering if there was any apps anyone could
recommend that could push this message to the idle screen of the 7912, eg
maybe replace the "Your Current Options" line so users wouldn't need to
browse anywhere.  The app would need to be able to take an automated import
of which phones to push the messages to.

I notice our system we use for contact centres (Zeacom Communications
Centre) can push messages via CTI to the 7912 phones to replace that "Your
current options" line but this is mainly for letting agents know how many
calls are waiting in the queue and so on.  Anyone know of anything else
similar that would be useful for us to push these messages about backup
power thru?

cheers,
ben.