[cisco-voip] Cisco SME

Nick Matthews matthnick at gmail.com
Mon May 17 09:48:48 EDT 2010

SME is basically a specialized CUCM.  CUSP is a module that only does SIP
signaling and manipulation, routing, etc.

With SME you can still integrate things like a corporate directory, web
services, things like IME, SAF, etc.  It uses a GUI, has full monitoring and
SNMP support.

CUSP is just signaling - and even then normally just the INVITE and not any
mid-call signals that will go between the devices unless record route is
on.  It's basically a SIP gatekeeper, although it hasn't implemented
bandwidth limitations yet, nor does it process registrations.

-nick