[cisco-voip] RTP arriving early generating ICMP unreachable

Wes Sisk wsisk at cisco.com
Tue May 18 16:15:58 EDT 2010

inline, ws.

On Tuesday, May 18, 2010 7:04:31 AM, Dale Shaw
<dale.shaw+cisco-voip at gmail.com> wrote:
> [ probably should've marked this thread 'OT' ]
>
> Thanks to Nick and Wes for their replies.
>
> Keeping the original scenario in mind, I'm curious what the audience
> thinks of the behaviour described in this Juniper KB article:
>
> http://kb.juniper.net/index?page=content&id=KB16823
>
> ..what would you expect the impact of this behaviour to be in your networks?

ws: juniper behaves as I would expect.  if implemented by the protocols
the firewall is correct in closing the port.
> I guess what I'm trying to gauge is, how common is the 'early RTP'
> situation in real, properly tuned networks (Nick and Wes's replies
> indicate it can be 'normal'),
ws: not particularly common, but it does happen.  And since it does
happen we have to address it so "the network works".
> and how much sense does it make for the
> Juniper SRX routers to respond the way described in the article linked
> above?

ws: IMHO it is valid response.  The endpoint really should be a more
responsible network participant.