[cisco-voip] Solution required for SIP Trunk resilience

Wes Sisk wsisk at cisco.com
Tue Nov 9 19:36:58 EST 2010

I have not seen any solutions offered so going to suggest 2:

1. use an MGCP gateway with 2xT1-PRI and a crossover cable.  Add one of
the PRI's in the RG or in a 2nd RG with the SIP trunk.  This works well
but it limits to 23 calls (24 if you use CAS) and it costs $$ for the
hardware.

2. create an h323 gateway that points to the ipaddress of the local cm.
add this to the RG or in a 2nd RG.  This is the same approach as above
only use h323 so the hairpin happens in IP.  This generally "works"
however it is not well supported.  We have identified leaks associated
with this call flow. It is not a typically recommended config so
limitations will not be fixed.  All that said, it's adequate when push
comes to shove or possibly enough to get you through an outage window on
other equipment.

/Wes