[cisco-voip] DSP Codec complexity and PRI channels

Bill bill at hitechconnection.net
Wed Oct 6 11:23:33 EDT 2010

So I am adding several new PRI's to a voice gateway over the next month. I
use the DSP calculator and do what ever it spits out as far as DSP
requirements but I got to thinking about what it said and did an inventory
on some of my other gateways and now I am stumped. So the specific scenario
I have is a VG that has two PRI's in it. It has a single PVDM II 48 module.
According to the documentation here
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps3115/ps6024/prod_qas090
0aecd8016c6ad_ps3115_Products_Q_and_A_Item.html

I can support 48 G.711 channels or 24 G.729 channels. Let's say I have the
dial-peer configured to use a voice class codec of both G.711 and G.729 and
the regions are set to force G.729. Now I get 24 inbound calls that are all
G.729 will the call fail on the 25th call? I always thought the router would
not let you provision the PRI if it could not support all of the channels
with the codec complexity of the voice card but it looks like you can over
subscribe it.