[cisco-voip] Voice recording issue

Tim Smith smithsonianwa at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 01:18:21 EDT 2010

I'm not familiar with this particular product.

But my guess is that if it is 4.1 CCM, it is probably based off packet
capturing the signalling and media off the wire.

So usually they sniff the SCCP and this signalling traffic is used to build
tables of extension numbers to device IP addresses for instance.

Typically, in your recording software you then select which extensions to
record. The software typically then applies filters to it's packet capturing
process to exclude non-interesting traffic.

In terms of recording, it also uses the SCCP sniffing to figure out when a
call is happening, and who is involved, and therefore which RTP media
packets to pluck off the wire and put into a recording file.

So recorder placement, and what traffic you have spanning to it, can be
important. i.e. you probably dont want to capture duplicate packets.

This is how it all used to work before SIP forking etc. Since you are on 4.1
think this is off the table anyway.

The key thing from the CM perspective is to make sure the recorders have
visibility of both the SCCP and RTP packets required, and as you know these
take different paths sometimes.

These products typically use common components such as WINPCAP (same as used
in Ethereal and Wireshark).

As Ahmed says, it does sound like a software issue on their side.

The fact that it is crossing calls is strange, because it means their
system, is taking audio from other conversations that it is not supposed to
be listening to. i.e. Not correlating the media streams and correct involved
call parties.

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers,

Tim