[cisco-voip] Planning to upgrade CM from 4.2 to 8.0.2

Amanda Lalli-Cafini alalli at iinet.net.au
Wed Oct 20 07:04:39 EDT 2010

Good Day All,

I have a CM 4.2 (publisher and subscriber) that I need to upgrade to CUCM
version 8.

I am trying to get my head around the best process to follow.

Prework-  doublecheck the physical hardware will support 8.0.2c.

7835-H2 with 2Gig RAM and 72G hard disk (done)

1.  Get everything ready to rebuild CM4.2 if necessary

          check the backups

          recovery/installation disks

2.  Use the DMA tool

     Correct any problems or errors before proceeding.

3.  The devices on the network are registered t the subscriber.

     Shutdown subscriber (small outage window) and make sure the devices
register with the CM 4.2 publisher.

4.  Build a new publisher on test network to 7.1(2)

     The new Publisher server gets the IP address of the current publisher

     Choosing this particular version because I found a Cisco guide for
upgrading 4.2(3) to 7.1(2)

5.   Migrate the data

6.   Check that phones will regiter to new CM 7.2(2) publisher.

7.   Upgrade to 8.0.2 and recheck test phones.

8.  Plan an outage window to shutdown CM4.2 Publisher and introduce
CUCM8.0.2c publisher

9  If all goes well, build a new subscriber

This will be the first time I am responsible for an upgrade between Windows
based CM to Linux Based so it would be really great to hear from people who
have done this before.

I am most interested in knowing if my plan is basically solid and what are
the 'gotchas' that I need to look out for.

Thanks very much for any assistance.

Regards,

Amanda

Amanda Lalli-Cafini