[cisco-voip] Outbound calls failing after IOS upgrade

Chris Ward (chrward) chrward at cisco.com
Tue Sep 21 10:38:22 EDT 2010

"If your customer upgrades to IOS 15.1.2T or later and suddenly finds
that calls (TDM GW, CME, SRST, CUBE, VXML...) that used to work start
failing, pls have them update the new "IP trust list" in IOS that was
introduced to help mitigate against increasing incidents of toll fraud
on GWs, CME and CUBE.

More info at:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk90/technologies_tech_note09186a0
080b3e123.shtml

We normally do not change the default operation of features, but this
feature did precisely that because toll fraud hackers exploited the
default (e.g. default dial-peer 0 matching) behaviour in IOS to accept
all incoming voice calls unless more explicit incoming dial-peers are
configured (which most customers do not bother to do).

As of 15.1.2T, by default, only calls from "trusted" source IP addresses
will be accepted, similar to CUCM operation (only registered endpoints
and IP addresses defined on trunks).

You can turn the feature off to restore old IOS default behaviour, but
it is strongly recommended not to do this - this feature was put in for
customers' protection against hackers. To run off, use:

   voice service voip
      no ip address trusted authenticate

By default, calls will be rejected with SIP 403, and you may see this
type of error on the box:

Aug 17 22:24:10.358: %VOICE_IEC-3-GW: Application Framework Core:
Internal Error (Toll fraud call rejected): IEC=1.1.228.3.31.0 on callID
130 GUID=84E305C1A9A611DF81BAD1554600BE83"

HTH

+Chris

HCS TME & Solution Architecture Team