[cisco-voip] Cisco MCS vs UCS Servers

Nick Matthews matthnick at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 12:17:30 EDT 2010

I think they will be the way to go.  Some of the reasons:
-VMware features add a lot to the management flexibility
-Hardware will last longer since you will be able to size more dynamically
-Hardware will be more efficient running multiple applications at once
-Being able to bring in some of the SAN features makes failure scenarios
easier to work around
-One number to call for support is nice
-The budgeting, ROI/TCO, will work out for them quite nicely

Right now there isn't a plan to EOL the MCS servers.  Cisco hasn't gotten
all the features and applications onto UCS, so there are still products
being sold with MCS.  As well, sometimes the scale doesn't justify something
like a B-series or C-series and MCS makes more sense; this reason is going
away fairly quickly though.  Right now Cisco is only OEM'ing IBM servers.
HP are still supported but you can't OEM them through a Cisco SKU/smartnet.

Hope this helps.

-nick