[cisco-voip] Cisco MCS vs UCS Servers

Ahmed Elnagar ahmed_elnagar at rayacorp.com
Thu Sep 23 19:01:04 EDT 2010

Cisco SEs is pushing on the virtualization for new customers and
customers considering upgrading to version 8.x...be aware that all H
series is already EOS due to the bad relationship between Cisco and HP
"obviuolsy the UCS was part of the fight" IBM servers has a lot of
problems "this is from my own personal point of view".

UCS is great C series configuration is to support 4 X 7945 server and
the cost is significantly less than hardware server...plus the added
benefits like hardware efficiency and DC sizing for large
customers...etc.

The drawbacks would be that you will need experience not only in UC part
but add to it the VMware and UCS itself...if you are going to B series
it is more complicated than the C series.

A great advantage for UCS is that you are able to have a sort of a
"redundant Publisher server" as the database is stored in SAN and if the
engineer fails it switches over to another own automatically so as if
you have a redundant server "but I think this is supported with the B
series" I am not very aware of deep technical info in this part.

If I were you I would go with UCS C series "for easier management"

And remember; all the world is going virtual J

 Best Regards;

  Ahmed Elnagar

  Senior Network PS Engineer

  Mob: +2019-0016211