[cisco-voip] SIP Trunk question

Bob Zanett (US) bob.zanett at us.didata.com
Tue Sep 28 09:06:05 EDT 2010

Eric and Jim -
Your (Eric) situation sounds like MTP resources may be running out.   When CUCM is in the loop - my guess you are using software MTPs to handle DTMF, etc negotiations.   By looking in your CUCM trace files will indicate if this is the case.
Two key reasons SIP has problems:

1.       EO versus DO - early offer versus delayed offer     EO requires MTP on CUCM at this time and EO is many times what telco's and some vendors require.

2.       DTMF -  the "norm" is leaning to RFC2833 - though some companies still use other methods.   However, if your applications do not support RFC2833 you will require MTPs.  The phone loads, Unity(as I recall), etc do support it.   In addition, if you are running MGCP gateways and have SIP phones, there are commands to allow MGCP to speak RFC2833.

As a side note:
If you are hitting any issues with transfers, conferencing, etc... simply add router-based software MTPs on the CUBE or ingress gateway and it will resolve most if not all of these issues.

Nick covers some items below.   A couple of others I have seen cause issues:

1.       Make sure that the CUCM Group you have assigned via the device pool on the SIP trunks matches the Subscribers that you are pointing to with your dial peers.   That is if your dial peers point to Subs 1, 2 and 4.  Set up your group for 1,2 and 4.

2.       Transcoding and DTMF - validate that if you are using MTPs that they can handle what you need them to.   Different MTP sources can handle only specific items - see the SRND, etc for more detail.

3.       Nick mentions it below but do make sure your pTime is the same (packetization time).  Early on when integrating CUCM 6.X and Microsoft UM this was an issue depending on how MTPs were used.

Lastly, if you want to reach out to me, I am more than willing to jump on a call to chat.

Cheers,
Bob
Solutions Architect
Customer Interactive Solutions