[cisco-voip] Time Display on phones

Wes Sisk wsisk at cisco.com
Tue Aug 2 15:40:23 EDT 2011

Time on the 3rd & 4th phone time can drift by up to 10 seconds from NTP
or CM time.  It turns our setting the time on phones is expensive
processor wise so do it only when necessary.

I know of no way to get seconds to display on the phone. Given the up to
10 second drift I don't know how much you'd want to reveal the internal
clock of the phones.

IPPhoneServicesSDK used to include a time clock web service that could
be used as idle URL on the phones. That displayed time from server with
a 1 second refresh interval.  That might work so long as your webserver
and network can handle the traffic.

Since you're on 3rd gen phones that support java midlets this might be a
good opportunity to begin exploring midlets to see what they can do.

Regards,
Wes