[cisco-voip] 9971 Phones -> Anyone using them in production?

Wellnitz, Erick A. erick.wellnitz at kattenlaw.com
Thu Aug 18 08:55:59 EDT 2011

The only complaint we have is the build quality.  They feel cheap compared to the 79xx series.

We also found that they don't work with our taps plar but dialing direct works.  The phone also seems to need to register before inserting the camera for initialization.  Nothing user facing from our perspective.  We're on the latest firmware.

On Aug 18, 2011, at 7:10 AM, "Ed Leatherman" <ealeatherman at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've noticed similar performance strangeness. When dialing my PIN for
> voice mail for example, the keypad is not as responsive as a 79XX..
> sometimes it misses digits when i dial it fast. Havent had any
> executives complain about it, but they dont tend to use the phones for
> anything but placing calls, and they like the video feature. If any of
> them know how to forward their line or care to find out, i would be
> shocked.
>
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 5:47 AM, Stephen Welsh
> <stephen.welsh at unifiedfx.com> wrote:
>> I've not used them in production yet, but I found they can be un-responsive,
>> i.e. pressing the Line/Session button on the right doesn't respond
>> sometimes.
>> Also when you take a screenshot (http://[Phone IP]/CGI/Screenshot) it takes
>> about 8 seconds for the phone to share the image over a LAN connection, not
>> a big deal but it makes me wonder on the overall performance of the phone
>> hardware. With any luck a firmware update may improve performance as I found
>> this with the original 7970, in the beginning it was pretty slow and I found
>> it got better with future firmware updates.
>> My understanding is the next generation of phones after the 9997 etc. will
>> all be based on Android, this should reduce the variations from one
>> generation to another as Cisco won't have to port the code to yet another
>> embedded system etc.
>> Thanks
>> Stephen Welsh
>> CTO
>> Unified FX
>> (http://www.unifiedfx.com)
>>
>> On 18 Aug 2011, at 10:34, Nathan Reeves wrote:
>>
>> All
>>
>> Is anyone using the 9971 phones in production anywhere?  I've got a couple
>> here and i'm finding some weird stuff with them.  I'm putting it down to
>> being SIP only images, but I'd love to know what others have found they're
>> like in the field.
>>
>> A couple of things I'm still battling with:
>>  - When the phone has CFwdAll configured, nothing on the phone identifies
>> that this is operational.
>>  - When you hit the CFwdAll button while CFwdAll is enabled, SCCP Phones
>> would cancel the active forward.  You dont' appear to be able to cancel the
>> Forward on these units.
>>  - iDivert (or Divert as it's known in the SIP images) doesn't work.  Can
>> get the button to appear but when a call is incoming you can press the
>> button and nothing happens (currently open with TAC).
>>
>> I've had these issues on 8.0.3 and was hoping our move to 8.6.1 would
>> resolve it but no such luck.  We're running the latest code on the phones.
>>
>> Anyone got ideas on fixes for the above?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Nathan
>>

> --
> Ed Leatherman

CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: Pursuant to Regulations Governing Practice Before the Internal Revenue
Service, any tax advice contained herein is not intended or written to be used and cannot be used
by a taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer.
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This electronic mail message and any attached files contain information intended for the exclusive
use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is
proprietary, privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you
are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any viewing, copying, disclosure or
distribution of this information may be subject to legal restriction or sanction.  Please notify
the sender, by electronic mail or telephone, of any unintended recipients and delete the original
message without making any copies.