[cisco-voip] Thoughts on Major UCM/UCCX upgrade

Frank Arrasmith frank.arrasmith at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 17:13:59 EDT 2011

Sorry for the mis-communication, yes, we still are retaining our support
contract through Cisco, however, we have found that, particularly with UCCX,
our skill level has grown enough, that the issues that we have encountered,
end up getting escalated to cisco anyway, so our VAR just ends up being the
middleman and seems to slow the process down.

Ed,
  Please let me know how your upgrade goes, as that is pretty much how we're
going to do it.  We are doing the bridged upgrade from an older MCS server,
to the UCS B-series blades.  Since its virtual, and we have plenty of
hardware space and some pretty good ESX guys, we talked about just building
a whole other UC system from scratch, depending on the time frame that is
decided. We would migrate our scripts over, other than that, my engineering
group would build, without the help from our VAR, which has been little help
since they installed the initial system, and that would give us the
opportunity to enhance our skill level across the board, since the other
thing we did, since the migration from TDM to VoIP, was merge our Network
and Telephony groups, into one big Network/Voice Engineering team.  This
way, the router guys get to learn VoIP, and the Voice guys get to learn
Route/switch.  This has proved to be very beneficial to all of us.  Good
luck with your upgrade, and I will be sure to post our results as well.

I just have to say, this forum has been a great resource for me and my team,
in both learning new technologies, and best practice methods.  Thanks again
everyone.