[cisco-voip] 8945 Phones impressions

Nick Matthews matthnick at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 01:12:17 EDT 2011

It all more or less makes sense - these are descendants of the 99xx
series phones, but a souped-up 6900 series phone.  More or less just a
cheap way to get video out to some basic employees.  I'm not sure if
Cisco really wants to beef up the firmware on the 69xx series phones
to the point of cannibalizing the 79xx series phones.  Things like no
VPN support, slow UI, maybe even background are definitely because of
the hardware skimps to keep the cost down.

Outside of that - it's pretty cool to be able to get a video phone for
the same price as a 7945.  Video is kind of like IM - valuable in
numbers.  If you can roll this phone out to a big group you can start
to get into the use case.

-nick