[cisco-voip] Codec negotiation

Scott Voll svoll.voip at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 14:30:55 EST 2011

can anyone tell me how Codec negotiation works?  Specifically what ports it
works on?

I have telecommuters using IPC 7.0.5 connecting with anyconnect (2.5)
connecting to an ASA at the head end.  Calls to inside 7961's work fine.

but I also have 881's doing site to site VPN with 7961 hanging off the back
coming into the same ASA.  That phone can call internal 7961 also.

The problem comes from IPC telecommuters calling 7961's behind the 881's.
 When you place the call, it rings, they answer, the timer increments up.
 But with a ?? it does not show a Codec.  It looks like we never negotiate
the Codec.

is this a Version problem?  CM is 7.1.5 and ASA is 8.4.2.  I THINK it
worked with ASA version 8.2.4 (but I Can't downgrade to double check).

Any other ideas?

I have a TAC case with the ASA team and they are like ya, the vpn
connections work.... open a new ticket with the voice team.  And before I
did so, I figured you guys are really smart and probably have deal with
these kinds of issues.

Scott