[cisco-voip] Codec negotiation

Wes Sisk wsisk at cisco.com
Wed Dec 7 15:13:04 EST 2011

SCCP devices advertise capabilities on registration.  Those capabilities are never renegotiated unless video is added/removed/invoked.

A little insight here -
CM tells the phones the codec it *should* receive in the OpenReceiveChannel sent to the phone. However, the phones do not trust that.  The phone figures out the codec it is receiving based on the first few RTP packets received.

If you are seeing ?? under codec I would be more suspecting of RTP not arriving at the phone.

SIP and H.323 advertise codecs on a per-call basis.  MGCP advertises codecs once during registration.

Regards,
Wes