[cisco-voip] Cisco Mobile and Application Dial Rules

H, Tim TimH at trstone.com
Sun Feb 27 10:31:53 EST 2011

Hi All,

I'm a little new to the world of Cisco Mobile for iPhone/iPad (I just got CUCM 7.15 installed).

I'm able to get the device registered to CUCM and working.  The softphone can receive calls with no problems and I can dial internal extensions with no problems.  My problem is when I try to dial an external number, I get "call failed" almost immediately.  I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.  I assume it has something to do with the Application Dial Rules.  I pulled the xml doc off of the iPad I'm using, and the doc is basically blank.  The same is true from the xml I downloaded off of the CUCM TFTP server.

I do not have any application dial rules setup in CUCM (probably the reason why the xml's are blank).  Couple of questions:

1. Is the absence of application dial rules my problem on the iPad, are these absolutely needed?
2. I've seen basic Cisco documentation on application dial rules, but I just don't understand them still.  Does anyone have and really good docs on this?
3. Could someone provide me a good example of a dial rule so that I can do basic outbound calls on my  iPad?

Thanks,
Tim