[cisco-voip] Fw: CUBE SIP to H323 query

Bill Riley bill at hitechconnection.net
Mon Jan 17 13:04:12 EST 2011

Your question was is it needed. You even answered your own question which is why I did a copy paste.

Now let’s take a step back one more time. If your question is do you need DSP resources to make a VOIP to VOIP call using CUBE the answer is no. Do you need an MTP for some supplementary services, yes but it depends on what you are doing and the router will allocate one as needed if it is configured correctly.

Now the next question is do you need DSP’s for this. That answer is no. You can use the software MTP in CUCM which you stated you were going to deploy.  If you want to do it in hardware then yes you can deploy DSP’s in the router and configure the router to use its onboard DSP’s as an MTP. To go even further I thought I read in some other posts that the CUBE router can be configured to use an MTP in software on the router without needing DSP’s. The only reason you would need DSP’s is if you had to transcode from one codec to the other or if you wanted conferencing resources.