[cisco-voip] SRST Question

Daniel dan.voip at danofive.id.au
Mon Jan 17 20:56:54 EST 2011

Hi All,

Can someone briefly explain some pro's and con's between two SRST types

Call Manager Fallback (Cisco Unified SRST)

   - Supports more phones
   - Less Flexible
   - Less Features

Telephony Service (CME in SRST Mode)

   - Supports less phones max 240
   - More Flexible
   - More Features

I'm starting to think that for our company there would be a mixture of
deployments most would be just a simple one time configuration of Cisco
Unified SRST. Then for some more complex sites we could utilise the features
of CME in SRST. For example reception consoles for us are not setup in a DR
architecture so we could utilise CME in SRST mode to have the reception
phone register to CME with the pilot number instead of just its line
numbers.

If we are running less than 240 phones off a SRST router would Cisco Unified
SRST and CME in SRST with the "srst mode auto-provision none" command
essentially in the simplest form be the same thing?

The only caveat I see with CME in SRST is that if someone saves the config
while in fallback the ephone-dn config etc is saved to the running config
which when switch back occurs would make the calls terminate at the SRST
router not CUCM and the registered phone.

Just weighing up the possibility of making all our SRST routers "CME in SRST
mode".

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan