[cisco-voip] Party line like call issue

Erin Mikelson ekmikelson at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 18 14:26:12 EST 2011

I have an interesting issue.

Just upgraded/installed CUCM 8.0(3a). All gateways are H.323. Most phones are 7940/7960.
This did NOT seem to be an issue with CUCM 4.0(2a) and MGCP gateways.

Issue is intermittent.
IP Phone caller calls a local number by dialing 9.XXXXXXX, I can see the call on the gateway. During the ringback of the IP phone they are hearing the conversation of another call already in progress. The phone shows the arrows as if it is still establishing the call, but seems to be connected to another external call. The PSTN caller CANNOT hear the IP Phone user. And the IP Phone user can only hear one person in the conversation. The call still does ring on the device which is being called. When the called party answers, they hear dead air, but the IP Phone sees that the call is established (the counter beings) but still hears that first call. The call gets dropped when the called party hangs up.

We are getting this on inbound and outbound calls.

Any ideas?

common configuration is as follows:

isdn switch-type primary-ni
!

controller T1 0/0/0
 cablelength long 0db
 pri-group timeslots 1-24

voice service voip
 allow-connections h323 to h323
 allow-connections h323 to sip
 allow-connections sip to h323
 allow-connections sip to sip
 supplementary-service h450.12
 fax protocol t38 ls-redundancy 2 hs-redundancy 1 fallback pass-through g711ulaw
 h323
  no h225 timeout keepalive
 h225 display-ie ccm-compatible

voice rtp send-recv

voice class codec 1
 codec preference 1 g711ulaw
 codec preference 2 g729r8
!
voice class h323 1
  h225 timeout tcp establish 3
!
!

interface GigabitEthernet0/0
 ip address 10.X.X.X 255.255.255.0
 duplex full
 speed 100
 h323-gateway voip interface
 h323-gateway voip bind srcaddr 10.X.X.X

!

int Serial 0/0/0:23
isdn supp-service name calling

dial-peer voice 1 pots

 description ** Default Dial-Peer for Incoming POTS Calls  **

 incoming called-number .

 direct-inward-dial

!
dial-peer voice 3 pots