[cisco-voip] CM Security password

Ed Leatherman ealeatherman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 17:22:25 EST 2011

Jason,

Good call.. I checked on our system and no such message comes up when
I kick off a manual backup (which doesn't mean it isn't the case
though).

I'm going to try to build this in the lab and see what happens with a
production backup.. licenses won't work but that shouldn't matter to
test this.

I'm leaning towards changing the cluster password anyway to avoid any
potential upgrade or hardware migration issues in the future.

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 11:00 AM, Jason Burns <burns.jason at gmail.com> wrote:
> The current CUCM 8.5.1 implementation of DRS prompts you with this message
> before you start a backup:
>
> ============
> The DRS Backup archive encryption depends on the current security password
> (Provided at the time of install). During a restore, you could be prompted
> to enter this security password if this password has been changed.
> ============
> So in that case you're hosed.
> I'll have to check if that same behavior exists in 7.1.5.
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 7:45 PM, Ed Leatherman <ealeatherman at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> When doing a restore from backup, does the cluster security password
>> get set from the backup files, or must it be set to match when you
>> initially install CM on the hardware?
>>
>> The reason I ask is, we were going to replace publisher hardware this
>> morning, but when we go to the step in the CM install (7.1.5) where
>> you enter the cluster security password and used our current security
>> password, it came back and said it was based on a dictionary word.
>> Now.. i'm guessing CM is checking against the Klingon dictionary at
>> this point, since the password is gibberish, and mostly special
>> characters. The current cluster password was set when we first
>> installed CM 5.
>>
>> Regardless.. if I install using some other password it accepts, and
>> then restore the publisher from normal per the procedure - will the
>> backup files restore the correct cluster security password, or am I
>> stuck at this point with going around and changing the current
>> password? Anyone else ever run into this?
>>
>> --
>> Ed Leatherman

Ed Leatherman