[cisco-voip] Click to Call Dialing Rules

Justin Steinberg jsteinberg at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 23:53:57 EST 2011

This may be more complicated than you had hoped for, but here goes...

I use application dial rules and setup a rule where:
num digits = 10
prefix = +1

I then change the webdialer service parameter and set the 'apply app dial
rules to soap dial request' to true.

Then I setup translation patterns with \+1 according to route these calls.

The real gripe I have with this is that (atleast in the US Midwest) Telco's
operate with so many different rules that it makes this scenario challenging
to program.   In some areas, I need to send out local calls at 7 digits,
foreign npa local calls as 10 digits, and foreign npa toll calls as 11
digits.  The issue is that since we are now permitting people to dial from
outlook, etc, we can no longer expect them to dial 7 digits for local calls
and 11 digits for LD calls.  Since they are dialing from outlook, generally
everything is 10 digits.   So now we are forced to program NPA/NXX data into
CM for every local NPA/NXX so that CM knows whether to outpulse this as 7,
10 or 11.  Depending on where you live, this can be a pain.  I usually do
this in translation patterns, although you could use called party
transformation patterns as well, but the problem is that if you need to
route local & LD calls to different gateways within CM, you need to make
this routing decision at the RP/RL/RG level, which is before transformation
patterns are applied.  So basically, this requires some planning to execute
properly.

I usually start with the NANPA site and look to see what the area code rules
are for the locations where I have users:

http://www.nanpa.com/nas/public/npa_query_step1.do?method=resetNpaReportModel

If I am lucky to have a NPA where I don't have to deal with the 7/10 digit
issues, then things are much more simple.  If you do have a site with the
7/10 digit issues, then I reference the local calling guide (
http://www.localcallingguide.com/) and I create translation patterns with
specific NPA/NXX that are local, in the format \+1NPA.NXXXXXX.  The
translation pattern then strips predot and sends the call to the 7 digit
local route pattern.  Basically what this is doing is catching a outbound
call placed to a local number in full 10 digit format (usually from the call
directories or click to call apps) and then strips the area code off and
sends the call out as a local call, just like when a user dials the 7 digit
number.

I would love to hear what others are doing.  I like the called party
transformations concept, but it just doesn't play well for different
gateways for local / LD calls.  The exception would be if you went to
h323/sip gateways and each physical h323/sip gateway had both local / LD
facilities.

Also, seems like the standard for SIP carriers is to request all numbers are
dialed in 10 digit format, which addresses all the issues I describe above.

Justin