[cisco-voip] licensing question.......

Ed Leatherman ealeatherman at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 12:04:24 EST 2011

Don,

I'm trying to get a handle on what type of licenses I need to order
moving forward with 7.1.5 and later. The only documentation i've found
so far on Cisco.com about UCL is referenced in the 8.5 release notes
at:
http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/partner/WWChannels/technology/ipc/downloads/uc_sol_og_ucl_final.pdf

I'm a customer though, not a partner. Is there a public or customer
accessible document that goes over this? I tried just changing the URL
to 'customer' instead of 'partners' but that didn't work.

We don't currently have any CUWL licensing, most of our users just
have 1 phone and 1 VM account.

Thanks,

Ed

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 12:14 AM, Don Weiner (dweiner)
<dweiner at cisco.com> wrote:
> Here’s where I think much of the confusion comes from - there is no change
> in the software as regards licensing so you will still see the DLU pool in
> administration. You receive enough DLUs with each User Connect user license
> to cover the phone + mobility/snr DLUs, so the DLUs are not a factor. We did
> this to cover/”disable” the current enforcement in the software. The
> user-based model makes much more sense given all the new capabilities, and
> we didn’t want to wait to build licensing enforcement into the software
> before we rolled it out. It really is a good thing IMHO.
>
> Along with the user-based licensing we also included Unified Mobility (SNR)
> at no extra charge. This is with an upgrade or new installation – it makes
> no difference. There is also no longer a cost for server software – you can
> install as many servers in the cluster, of whatever type, you would like for
> redundancy and/or scalability (up to maximums of course). This is especially
> effective in CUCM 8.0 and 8.5 where you can run CUCM (and other UC apps) on
> VMware virtual machines (without loss of any scalability per server – one
> VMware CUCM virtual server can support the same number of users as an
> MCS-7845). The result is that you can add servers to the cluster without
> additional cost, apart from hardware (the server), and if you’re running
> Cisco UC on VMware and have spare capacity on your host machine maybe not
> even that (a Cisco C210M2 can run up to 4 virtual servers on one physical
> box). This is not only for CUCM but also Unity Connection (includes High
> Availability/active-active redundancy, voicemail/unified messaging, speech
> recognition, email notifications, IMAP access, etc. all included), Unified
> Presence, Emergency Responder and some other UC applications.
>
> So with CUCM 7.1(5) and later you use UCL user licenses or use CUWL user
> licenses (UC bundles) or both - mix & match between UCL and CUWL and use the
> license that makes sense for each individual user.
>
> hth,
>
> Don

Ed Leatherman