[cisco-voip] Redundancy -- Quality of Voice -- QoS vs RSVP

Nick Matthews matthnick at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 19:27:46 EDT 2011

RSVP is good for CAC in non hub and spoke topologies - like partial
mesh and hierarchical, and any mix of those.  It has definite
configuration costs associated.

One alternative is call thresholding on the routers.  They can make
routing decisions based on how many calls have gone out a dial peer,
the bandwidth on an interface, CPU/memory utilization, etc.  It's
still hop by hop so you have some more options.

Regarding the versions - there have been enhancements, but since I
haven't seen it widely deployed I really have no idea what the
implications are.  My guess is you can get it to work on 7.1 if you
want, but there are some more specific abilities in 8.0+.

-nick