[cisco-voip] Unity Connection 8.5 Single Mailbox, any limitation?

Ryan West rwest at zyedge.com
Fri Mar 11 09:53:42 EST 2011

Ki Wi,

It’s interesting that you brought this up too.  Have a look here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/8x/unified_messaging/guide/85xcucumg020.html#wp1198171

You want to concentrate on Table 2-1 and not the bullet point that is two above it.  Single Inbox will allow you to configure a search for 2003 and 2010 mailboxes and by all accounts, it will work during testing.  After you import and enable a large user base the mailbox sync agent will crash and continue to crash until the 2003 and 2010 mailbox search is disabled.  The alternative is similar to what you’ve told your customer.  You can create two UM services account, one for 2003 and one for 2010 and as mailboxes are moved over, associate them to the proper UM account.  Here’s the bullet point that confused me:

If you choose to allow Connection to search for Exchange servers, you can further choose whether Connection can access every mailbox in the Exchange organization, or just Exchange 2007 and Exchange 2010 mailboxes. When the Exchange organization includes Exchange 2003 servers, Connection always communicates directly with the Exchange back-end servers, it never communicates with Exchange front-end servers.

-ryan