[cisco-voip] Cisco Mobile for iPhone with AnyConnect VPN

Brian Schultz bms314 at gmail.com
Thu May 5 14:26:03 EDT 2011

I am working in an environment with an ASA5520 8.4(1) with AnyConnect
Essentials and AnyConnect for Mobile license.  On the inside, we have CUCM
8.5(1).  When using IP Communicator soft phone running SIP protocol or Cisco
Mobile 8.1.1 for iPhone client on the internal wireless, everything works
fine.

When you connect the same client from the outside world using AnyConnect VPN
or IPSec VPN, the client registers to CUCM properly and calls initiated
outbound from either device work properly.  However, inbound calls to either
device never ring the phone.  I did a packet capture on the ASA and see 6
total messages in both direction so I know two way communication is
present.  One of the messages is a *404 Not Found* error, which doesn't seem
to tell me much.  If I reconfigure the IP Communicator to use SCCP and
connect via VPN, it works fine.  But the problem always occurs when SIP
protocol is used.

Since the calls work fine on the inside of the network, this doesn't appear
to be a CUCM problem.  The only variable is VPN through the ASA using SIP
protocol.  I have tried to disable SIP inspection on the ASA, but that broke
all calls from those devices.

Is anyone successfully using the Cisco Mobile for iPhone client connected
via a VPN and receiving inbound calls?

Thanks,
Brian