[cisco-voip] lync moc desktop p2p & p2m video calls , conferencing

Matt Slaga (AM) matt.slaga at dimensiondata.com
Wed May 11 09:36:40 EDT 2011

1.      can my 10 pilot lync moc clients do p2p or p2m desktop video sessions with rt audio and rt video codecs with out going via ccm cluster or with out the help of ccm at all.

Yes, between themselves but not between a Cisco endpoint and a MOC endpoint.

2.      just like ccm's sccp end points which will have a dn # , should my lync moc clients too need to have dn # or lync moc can audio & video call each other via their sip addresses or user names ?

You will configure each user for 'Enterprise Voice' and assign a tel URI which is their telephone number.  Normally, this is an E164 number (i.e. tel:+12125551212)

3.from qos perspective , what tcp & udp ports should i have to mark and classify for rt audio or rt video signalling and payloads ? from my very limited understanding on lync so far , moc clients when they talk to lync server via sip , they do open up peer to peer sort of 1024 to 65534 sort of huge port range. which i gather , can we locked in to smaller range via in-band signalling. so as you can see here , i am totally confused on best possible qos templates to protect and give some sort of priority (perhaps IP Prec 2 or AF21)  lync desktop video p2p and p2p sessions.

Out of the box, Lync clients use 1024-65535 for audio or video.  This can be adjusted, search around technet for QoS settings.

3.      i do gather that , lync do offer cac , similar to ccm. if that is the case , how much bw shall i have to configure for 2 x desktop video sessions ?

2 desktop video sessions at CIF will be around 512kbps.  You also need to factor in audio though, don't think your 512k pipe will handle this well.

5. lastly , i was just checking nbar class maps on my is router and i spotted match protocol rtp audio and rtp video and rtp payload , but nbar match options does not offer rt audio or rt video to cover microsoft lync protocol matching. so , i am just wondering , are they both same or not. if they are not same , then perhaps , the bets i could do it is match tcp and udp port ranges of rt audio and rt video traffic streams.

Your best bet is to configure Lync to use different port ranges for audio and video and classify and mark on the edge switches.