[cisco-voip] Unity and Google Apps

Brantley Richbourg Brantley.Richbourg at MMICNC.COM
Thu May 19 09:15:11 EDT 2011

That makes a lot of sense and that would be a strong reason to switch, not the mention the DR aspects of not having to backup, restore, or worry about Exchange.

Other considerations that come to my mind are, if your Internet connection is down, then internal email will be down as well.  Depending on your network design that might not be an issue or much of a concern.  I don't know about EDU environments, but if email is down in our company, it is not a good thing.  It is also worth considering the recent hiccups with Gmail and the loss of account information and email data.  By moving to a hosted service, you gain in the fact that you do not have to worry about controlling the data as much, but on the same token you also lose the control and comfort that you data is secure and protected.  You have to trust that Google is doing a good job at protecting your data.  Since we deal with medical information at my company, that is not an option, but that will differ from org to org.

I use Google Apps personally for myself and I love it.  The fact that it is free is why I use it.  I store all of my information on Google Docs and I don't have a problem with it.

Another thought that crosses my mind would be to see how viable of an option it would be to use Google Voice in conjunction with Google Apps for your UC needs.  I do not know how well that will work or scale with a org that is as large as your EDU, but it might be worth looking into is cost is really that much of a concern.

From: Matthew Loraditch [mailto:MLoraditch at heliontechnologies.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2011 8:58 AM
To: Brantley Richbourg; Rossella Mariotti-Jones; cisco-voip at puck.nether.net
Subject: RE: Unity and Google Apps

Google Apps is free for .edu users....

Saves lots of $$ on hardware and licensing.

Microsoft also has a free one live at edu but I don't think it's compatible with Unity Connection.

FWIW, Supposedly they are working on Unity Connection UM for the paid equivalents of Microsoft's free education offering.

Matthew Loraditch, CCVP, CCNA, CCDA
1965 Greenspring Drive
Timonium, MD 21093
support at heliontechnologies.com<mailto:support at heliontechnologies.com>