[cisco-voip] Hardware Re-purposing to replace EOL

Ed Leatherman ealeatherman at gmail.com
Wed May 25 08:15:31 EDT 2011

I'm still new to the whole UCS/VMware thing with UC, but couldn't you
put the pub and one of the subs on the same blade along with CER? Is
there not enough CPU? That way your call processing is still on
separate blades.
Or are you just specifically trying to find a use for the 7825 and
have a sub off of UCS?

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Mike King <me at mpking.com> wrote:
> Any comments?
>
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 9:48 AM, Mike King <me at mpking.com> wrote:
>>
>> We're building a new building,  and we want to put a SUB in it.
>> A little background.
>> We're on 7.1.3, but we have UCSS so we can upgrade to anything we want.
>> We have a brand new 7845 thats our PUB.  We have two SUBs right now, that
>> are 7825H2 (Which go end of Support June 2nd 2012).
>> The PUB and SUB are in one building, and the other SUB is another
>> building.
>> We also have 2 Emergency Responders (CER) on 7825I4.
>> We own a UCS cluster, and have two Cisco SKU UCS-B200M2-VCS1 that we are
>> about to order tomorrow.  (The final destination for this UCS cluster is the
>> new building we're building)
>> We also have a HA Unity Connection cluster, and a UCCX cluster (one half
>> will exist in the UCS cluster).
>> Our major concern is the 7825H2's that will go EOL next year.
>> If one of the CER was virtualized, is it possible to re-use the 7825I4
>> server as a SUB?   I know that at one point, the servers were VERY specific
>> to what software they could run.
>> Our thought process is to:
>> PUB on UCS blade 1, SUB on UCS blade 2, UCCX on UCS Blade 1 (or 2), CER on
>> UCS Blade 2 (or 1)
>> 7845 becomes a SUB to replace one 7825H2
>> 7825I4 becomes SUB to replace other 7825H2
>> Unity Connection would remain the same, and the other half of the UCCX
>> cluster would stay on it's server.
>> So can the 7825I4 be a SUB?
>> Is there a different plan that might be better?
>> Mike

Ed Leatherman