[cisco-voip] Hardware Re-purposing to replace EOL

Mike King me at mpking.com
Wed May 25 14:20:37 EDT 2011

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 8:15 AM, Ed Leatherman <ealeatherman at gmail.com>wrote:

> Or are you just specifically trying to find a use for the 7825 and
> have a sub off of UCS?

Something like that.

We're aiming for some geographic redundancy, a sub at each one of our large
sites.  So if everything is inside the UCS, we're hosed if it goes down.  If
we only have the PUB and 1 SUB in the UCS (which is our headquarters) and 1
SUB each in Each of our large buildings, we get some geographic redundancy.
 It's worked very well for us, because we have had our TLS (Transparent LAN
service) between our buildings go down, and when that happens, the Large
buildings are relatively un-affected.   Our smaller sites have SRST, so it's
all pretty seamless to our end users.

My big concern is the 7825H2's we've got, that go end of hardware support
next year.  I know the phone system will just keep on running, but I don't
want to have to explain to management that "Yea, the phones will be
down until you buy a new server".  But that being said, management never
wants to actually spend money unless I make them.

If I can "recycle" the 4 month old 7825I4 server into another sub, everyone
wins.  I get a supported platform for at least a few more years, and
management doesn't have to spend any money.  (Since we already own the UCS
blades).   By the time the 7825I4's go EOS/EOL, I'm sure we'll have a UCS
platform in another building by then, and I'm hoping the UC on UCS
restrictions will have relaxed a little bit. My Server guy was a little
miffed that I'm getting two slots dedicated to UC, and the blades are not as
powerful as the one's he's buying.  (We found the document that says faster
processors and more RAM are supported after the order was placed.)

Mike