[cisco-voip] 9971 echo on speakerphone

Wes Sisk wsisk at cisco.com
Wed Oct 26 11:48:56 EDT 2011

What phone load are you using? I'm not aware of anything along these lines being tracked on the 99xx phones in recent loads.

Stepping back to the fundamentals of echo - If the mic is too sensitive and then environment introduces noise then echo is unavoidable.  DSPs train on the audio signal that is sent out to the speakerphone speaker.  If that audio is mixed with noise in the environment then the audio signal that comes back into the speakerphone microphone will be distorted.  Because of the distortion from the noise the ECAN will not recognize the echo signal in the incoming audio.  This could just come down to microphone sensitivity. I believe there were issues with mic sensitivity in early phone loads.

/wes