[cisco-voip] Auto Mute when Dialed

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Wed Sep 28 17:32:34 EDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 10:48 AM, Scott Voll <svoll.voip at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 7:46 AM, Haas, Neal <nhaas at co.fresno.ca.us> wrote:
>>
>> I need to have a phone in an interview room that “in case of emergency” a
>> button is pushed an auto dial goes out and security is notified to go to
>> “booth 1” BUT they don’t want the person at the Booth to hear that a call
>> was placed.
>>
>> Is there a way to create a Speed Dial and turn the Speaker off?
>
> Not sure if you have anything like Singlewire Informacast..... but if you
> do, create a service URL that pushes txt and audio to a phone (eg. Security)
> and they will no nothing at the phone the service url button is pushed.
> if you don't hve informacast..... I'm sure you could still home grow
> something like it.

I set up an Asterisk system to do this for me.... We add a speed dial
to phones that need this.  When the speed dial button is pressed the
Asterisk system takes the call, takes note of the phone that called
it, and then hangs up (which happens in a fraction of a second, you'd
have to be looking directly at the phone to see it).  Then the calling
phone number is looked up in a database for location information, a
sound file is generated using a TTS program, and then the security
guard's cell phone is called and the sound file is played back to
them.

I'm sure something similar could be done with JTAPI or something but I
knew how to get this done using Asterisk - I'm not much of a Java
developer.  So you'd need to be comfortable using Asterisk to follow
my approach exactly.

Something like this has the advantage that it can be used from any
phone (e.g. an analog phone used as a courtesy phone) by setting up a
call pattern like "1111" and then putting a sticker on the courtesy
phone.

--
Jeff Ollie