[cisco-voip] Backup and restore procedure in VMware environment?

Ki Wi kiwi.voice at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 23:32:10 EDT 2012

Hi Scott and list members,

I found this info from cisco's wiki for UC app. Looks like it is supported
now.

Copy Virtual Machine

NOTE: support varies by app and version. Before reading the best practices
below, verify support at Supported Editions and Features of VMware vSphere
ESXi, VMware vCenter and VMware vSphere Client.

Copying a Virtual Machine (VM) copies both the virtual server configuration
and the workload (UC OS and application) running on that virtual server to
a file on networked shared storage. This allows VMs to be copied, then
subsequently modified or shut down. This feature effectively provides a
method to do full system backup/restore, take system images or revert
changes to software versions, user data and configuration changes.

        Prior to copying, the VM must first be shutdown (which will shut
down the virtual server, the UC OS and the UC application).
        If uploading a VM copy as a “whole system restore”, clustered UC
applications such as CUCM will probably require their replication to be
manually “fixed” via a CLI command.