[cisco-voip] Unity Connection UM

Anthony Holloway avholloway+cisco-voip at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 23:10:59 EDT 2012

In my experiences, you need ViewMail for Outlook to really make this shine.

Without ViewMail you are vulnerable to an Outlook bug, where once you
receive 100 attachments with the same name, you can no longer open anymore
of those same attachments.  This is important because the voice message is
attached with the same name on all messages.  With ViewMail your Outlook
client doesn't actually "open" the attachment, rather, the plugin plays it
directly from the client. Source:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-outlook/outlook-2010-once-the-user-has-received-99/69b1cab4-824c-496a-bcf8-f6fa16a7535d

Without ViewMail you also cannot reply to messages from your computer.  You
have to listen to the message first, then call into voicemail and reply to
the message from there.  With ViewMail you can have it call you or use the
PC mic to record your new message.  One other thing with this, ViewMail/UM
is not designed to relay e-mails, rather voice messages.  So simply
replying to the e-mail with text is not allowed, as the plugin forces you
to record a message.  Some users got around that by recording a sub-second
silent message and just typing text.

Without ViewMail you cannot play secure messages from your PC, you must
call in and listen to them.

Without ViewMail you cannot compose a new message from your PC, you must
call in and compose from there.

Basically, without ViewMail, you have a solution somewhere between IMAP and
Message Relay.

I'll also second the comment on the delay with MWI.  I saw delays up to 30
seconds in some instances, and this was for a deployment of around 1,200
users.

Anthony Holloway