[cisco-voip] Unity Connection UM

Justin Steinberg jsteinberg at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 06:27:48 EDT 2012

Any chance the delay you are seeing is more of a function of the Outlook
client operating in cached mode than any actual delay between Uconn and
exchange.  Have you tried to see if the delay is any different when you
mark messages as read from the outlook web access client ?

I just ask because other than the Outlook cached mode delay, the MWI has
always seemed near instantaneous for me.

I would say a more serious difference with Unity vs Uconn is the smtp
domain differences, which cause messages to appear in outlook from
user at connectionservername.company.com.  If you don't have viewmail
installed, you have to setup smtp routing between Uconn and exchange to
permit a user to reply to those emails. Even with this, the Outlook client
begins to cache those addresses.  There are ways to change the Uconn smtp
domain to match exchange, which addresses this concern but introduces other
caveats.  In many cases, I have elected to accept the other caveats because
changing the smtp domain provides a better user experience.

Search the Cisco netpro forums for Uconn smtp domain, there are a number of
posts on this issue.

Justin