[cisco-voip] Streaming multicast audio source to an IP phone

Robert Kulagowski rkulagow at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 09:54:53 EDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 3:17 PM, Tim Reimers <treimers at ashevillenc.gov> wrote:

> Hi everyone-
>

> I’m researching how to possibly do something with IP phones and multicast—
>

> We want to stream audio from meetings in a very plug-and-play
> user-friendly way,
>
> to IP phones and also PCs on the network.
>

> I will be locating some type of hardware that can be connected to the line
> out of an audio system to pick up the audio, and provide a
>
> multicast stream.
>
> The multicast stream will NOT be coming from an IP phone –
>
> It will be something like a PC with VLC loaded on it, or with proof of
> concept to get some funding, I might use a VBrick or something like that.

If you check the archives for my name, you'll see that I implemented
something similar a few years back, and made a "Town Hall Conference"
as a service button for our users. The service goes to a php script
that sends back the XML required to join the multicast group. I
included the code in my message.

Since we were using it for a conference bridge, we had certain 7970's
join as transmitters, and the rest as receivers.

If you're looking for dedicated hardware to encode, take a look the
ExStreamer and the Annunicom from Barix - they're in the low hundreds,
and some can be powered via PoE.