[cisco-voip] Texting to a PRI number?

Madziarczyk, Jonathan jmad at cityofevanston.org
Tue Aug 21 16:13:20 EDT 2012

Cats & Dogs living together, it's the apocalypse as we know it...

So I'm working with a 311 center and someone had the brilliant idea,
"why can't I just text my problem instead of calling?".  Seems logical,
I have both options on a cell phone.  Why not on a PRI or land based
phone?

Obviously the technology isn't there to do it natively since I believe
most cells are doing it via IP and PRIs are still old-school.  But with
the advent of things like Google talk and IP/SIP Trunks it looks like
the functionality to work around the Telco's shortcomings is actually
within the realm of possibilities.

Has anyone gotten this to work, and better yet, gotten it to work on a
med-high volume number?  We're averaging about 10k calls a month on the
line we want to use and I feel like porting that number through Google
Voice first and then forwarding to our PRI just brings up more
potentials for single points of failure.

The alternative is just to use a different number, but we were trying to
keep it simple.

I'm guessing while UCCX/CUCM has the capability to handle e-mails, it
doesn't have the ability to handle texts as well.

Any other ideas I might have missed?

JM